Category Archives: Social Security Issues

How to do a Name Change

If you need to change your name with the Social Security Administration due to divorce, marriage, or any other reason, you must contact the SSA as soon as possible to prevent mix up with your tax information and social security benefits later in life.

Required Name Change Documents

Depending on the circumstances behind your name change, the SSA will require one or more of the following documents:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Divorce decree
  • Court order for a name change
  • Certificate of Naturalization displaying your new name

*Be sure to have a photo ID such as a passport or drivers license available upon request.

Social Security Card Name

Additional Documents for Adoption or Naturalization

In addition to a court order or Certificate of Naturalization, provide:

  • One proof of identification with your former name. The SSA will accept an expired document.
  • One proof of identification with your new name. This document MUST be valid.

Additional Documents for Citizenship

If you are a U.S. citizen born outside of the country and the SSA does not have you listed as a U.S. citizen, you will need to provide proof of your citizenship. Check with the SSA for acceptable documents.

If you do not have U.S. citizen status, be prepared to provide your current immigration documents.

*You will recieve a new Social Security card with your new name however, your Social Security number will remain unchanged

Changing Your Name with the SSA

Step 1: Obtain an “Application for a Social Security Card” form at your nearest Social Security office. You can also download the form from the Social Security website.

Step 2: Gather necessary documentation that must accompany the form. (see above)

Step 3: Complete the “Application for a Social Security Card” completely and legibly.

Step 4: Mail the form (using certified mail) and supporting documents to address listed on the Social Security Administration website. Expect to receive your new Social Security card in 7 to 14 days. If you don’t feel like mailing these important documents, you can visit your nearest SSA center.

Manage or Change Social Security Benefits

Changing your Social Security Benefits

If you have made a decision to change the way your Social Security benefits have been set up you may be able to withdraw your Social Security claim and re-apply later.

If it has been 12 months or more after you became entitled to your retirement benefits, you can no longer withdraw your application.

Withdrawing your application

When withdrawing an application here is what you would need to know:

  • You must repay all the benefits you and your family received based on your retirement application. Benefits anyone, including spouse or children received based on your application will be repaid. Anyone who received benefits must write consent with the withdraw.
  • Money withheld from your checks from Medicare part B, part C, and part D premiums, Voluntary tax withholding for all years, and garnishments must be repaid.

How to withdraw your application

  1. Fill out Social Security Form SSA-521 and include the reason why you want to withdraw the application on the form.
  2. Send the completed form to the Social Security Administration and you will be notified on the amount that you need to repay.
How to manage your Social Security benefits online

Change your social security benefits

By using mySocialSecurity you get access to


Top 12 Questions About Social Security Benefits Answered

We get tons of questions about Social Security Benefits, SSI, disability, death and spousal benefits, how to apply, getting benefits at age 62 and more. We have picked the top 12 issues people have questions about and have answered them below. Scroll down below to see our list.

12 Questions About Social Security